[TenTec] Omni vs. IC 781

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni vs. IC 781
From: kc9tv@yahoo.com (Tim Jones)
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 17:11:05 -0700 (PDT)

> from people (and TT advertising) that TT is superior to other
> radios, like FT
> 1Ks etc.
I never had a chance to compair my OMNI to a FT1000 mp
but it is a great improvement from the other rig that I used to
have.
During the WPX contest this past weekend made it very easy to
seperate stations with 500hz TenTec filters. This is where I can
tell a huge difference from other rigs that I have owned. There
was no IMD from the reveiver even with a 20-30db signal right
next to me while I was working a station that just moved the S
meter
> I also briefly compared Omni VI with my TS870 with 2.1 IR
> filters ($1700 +
> 150) and didn't find anything on Omni that TS870 could not
> hear.
I am shure the TS-870 is a nice radio but before I purchased my
OMNI VI I searched the Internet about info for various rigs
the TS-870 has no options for adding filters it has DSP only
Comments from a DXpedtion listed this as a problem using the
TS-870 and other users on the Newsgroups.The main reason listed
by TS-870 users were strong signals in the receive front end.
With no crystal filters available to be able to hear weak
signals next to strong ones.

Used 781s go for around 3000, not too far from
> loaded Omnis

For a fair compairison I believe a New IC-781 and Filters
would be around $7000.(Just checked the website of a Icom
distrib.) I believe if TenTec would make a
HF rig in this price range it would be a awsome rig. My
OMNI VI used was $1800. If a Ham operator buys something other
than a OMNI there was some reason I not trying to question
someones judgment about how they spend their money.
But the customer service from TenTec and the price I paid for my
OMNI VI total value is excellent

===
KC9TV
Jonesy