[TenTec] Omni vs. IC 781

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni vs. IC 781
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 22:26:17 EDT
kc9tv@yahoo.com writes:

<<   I am shure the TS-870 is a nice radio but before I purchased my
 OMNI VI I searched the Internet about info for various rigs
 the TS-870 has no options for adding filters it has DSP only
 Comments from a DXpedtion listed this as a problem using the
 TS-870 and other users on the Newsgroups.The main reason listed
 by TS-870 users were strong signals in the receive front end.
 With no crystal filters available to be able to hear weak
 signals next to strong ones. >>

Yes original TS870 with original Kenwood filters and DSP filtering sucks. A
almost threw it away after the first contest I used it in. Then I looked at
the schematic and filters used in the radio. Then I ordered IR filters and
replaced both filters with IR 2.1 kHz. It is completely different radio now,
DSP works much better, overload is gone (there was Kenwood mod for gain
distribution between RF and IF stages), I am keeping it now (great for
expeditions and computer controll, remote, etc.)

<< For a fair compairison I believe a New IC-781 and Filters
 would be around $7000.....
 My OMNI VI used was $1800. If a Ham operator buys something other
 than a OMNI there was some reason I not trying to question
 someones judgment about how they spend their money.
 But the customer service from TenTec and the price I paid for my
 OMNI VI total value is excellent  >>

How is it fair to compare New IC781 (comes with ALL filters) to used Omni?
Again as I mentioned, in used 781 (seen them listed lately for 3k) there is
lot more radio than in used Omni.
Again, I am not arguing against anybody's "religion". You stick with yours, I
will stick with mine. I will respect yours, if you respect mine. I am just
trying to be objective and looking at things from the perspective of serious
contester.

73 Yuri