[TenTec] [Q] Temp ctrl Fan available?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] [Q] Temp ctrl Fan available?
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:57:56 -0400 (EDT)

I think most TT rigs are air deprived. The Omni 6's I had needed some air
inside badly. When receiving, it was stable but after sending for a few
hours at high speed, the oscillators would drift due to heat conducted
from the finals. There were 2 cures. One was to keep a fan blowing across
the heat sink on the outside and my final cure was to remove the speaker
and install a small fan in the bracket. It fit perfectly and blew air out
the speaker grill. I used a 24v fan from an HP printer. It was virtually
silent and stopped the drift. When I sold the rig, I simply removed the
fan and put the speaker back in it. The corsair and Omni A-D series were
sealed up with no velilation too. The same thing happens with them after
transmitting for  a while and I'm going to do something along the same
lines. A cheap solution is to leave the lid off but maybe one could get
the lid perferated somehow. About 200 holes would do the trick.