[TenTec] Pan Display

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pan Display
From: w8au@sssnet.com (w8au@sssnet.com)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 22:57:38 -0500
At 10:04 PM 03/05/2000 -0500, John, K4WJ, wrote:

>At 12:14 PM 3/4/00 -0500, Michael O. Hyder wrote:
>
>>Japanese radios have been called "Rice Boxes" for a long time.  Get over it.
>>73 de Mike
>
>Mike,
>That sure doesn't make it right. Should I refer to American rigs as "Fried
>Chicken" boxes? Or maybe Burger King Boxes or some other truly American food.
>I think referring to rigs made in Japan as "Rice Boxes" is in very poor
>taste. I have never done it.
>73..de John/K4WJ

Mike:

I think you need some help from the silent majority!

It appears that some think the "rice-box" term refers to people.  What it
really refers to is the geographical area where a radio is produced.  If
the British still produced the KW brand, we would be still be referring to
them as "limey radios," (with the blessing of our UK friends).  I don't
think the Italian Geloso radios ever got an entrenched nickname, as they
didn't stay around long.  (I won't hazard a guess on that one!)   And, I
wouldn't care what you call American Radios..... BoatAnchors was always a
derogatory term for old U. S. Radios, but is is a beloved term today.

"Rice-box" was coined many years ago, and has become well established in
the ham vocabulary.  It will never be dropped.  (We all know this, don't
we?)  It is much more efficient to use this pet name instead of "Yaecomwood."

Besides, the "rice-box" term is no longer considered demeaning..... lots of
good gear comes from the Far East.

I love my "rice-boxes" and my "plastic radios" and my "boatanchors."   Long
may they live, under the international "umbrella" of ham radio.

Now lets get back to "hamming," with all it's colorful
vernacular....   this means ALL you kids and lids and OMs and OWs and
XYLs..... !      (you wouldn't consider giving these up, would you?)

Perry      w8au