[TenTec] Pegasus upper band rec

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus upper band rec
From: sdprat@worldnet.att.net (Scott Prather)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 12:34:44 -0700
Lance-A properly operating Pegasus receiver displays very little variation
in sensitivity from 80 to 12 M, with a slight degradation at 10 meters and a
few dB at 160. Unfortunately, I've only had the opportunity to evaluate one
Pegasus, so these numbers certainly aren't cast in stone.  The specified
sensitivity for the Pegasus is 0.35 microvolts for 10 dB S+N/N, and I found
that my test unit came in just under this value at 20 meters, and it was 1
dB above spec at 10 M.

If you would like more information regarding the performance of the Pegasus
receiver, you might want to take a look at my review of the Pegasus that
appeared in the July and August issues of CQ.  My lab tests went beyond
those executed by the ARRL in their review.

Above 20 M, the Pegasus employs two bandpass filters, one for 18-24 MHz and
the other for 24-30 MHz.  These are simple filters, and I doubt that both
have a defective component.  I'm assuming that your antenna is reasonably
well matched to 50 ohms, with minimal reactance on the bands that exhibit
low sensitivity.

I do not recommend that you adjust the IF gain pot in the Pegasus.
Adjusting this pot to increase the IF gain will improve the sensitivity
slightly, but it will also affect the analog AGC threshold, which could lead
to an increased propensity for "pumping" on strong adjacent-channel signals
when the band is crowded.

I hope this helps.

Scott
N7NB