[TenTec] Antenna Matching Weirdness

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Antenna Matching Weirdness
From: k4wj@bellsouth.net (John K4WJ)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:54:59 -0400
While we are guessing here, I'm going to take a stab at it.

You are using a vertical and feeding it with an unbalanced line. The outer
surface of the coax braid has become a part of the antenna. By changing the
length of the feed line you are changing the length of the braid and thus
the antenna. You need to decouple the outer surface of the braid from the
vertical and you can do this by adding an UNUN between the coax and the
antenna feed point.

UNUNs are available from Amidon. An UNUN is similar to a Balun but is used
in UNbalanced to UNbalanced situations, which a vertical fed with coax
presents. A Balun is used in a BALenced to UNbanced configuration, such as
feeding a balanced antenna (dipole) with coax. Check this Amidon site for
more information, http://www.amidoncorp.com/f_ham.htm

I've seen some advertisements for "decouplers" which I believe are like
UNUNs. Their purpose is to keep RF off of the outer surface of the coax braid.

73..de John/K4WJ

To: <tentec@contesting.com>