[TenTec] Orion power output

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion power output
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:15:48 -0800
I also question the need for the extra 50 watts.  I believe it takes a 3dB
increase to be detectable by the human ear, and about 6 dB to equal one 'S'
unit increase.  So, 150 vs 100 watts is mostly marketing/advertising hype
with virtually no benefit to the user - but a slight benefit to the power
company :-).

It takes far less than the 100 watts that is available from my Omni VI/3 to
drive my Heath SB-1000 (a single 3-500) to full power output on any band.  I
usually have it "coasting" along at about 50 watts when I use the amp.

At this point If Ten Tec has already designed the output circuitry and power
supply for 100 watts, it may not be a trivial effort to make the increase to
150 watts.

Reid, K7YX