[TenTec] which side

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] which side
From: walt@jove.acs.unt.edu (Walter S Delesandri)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:22:25 -0600 (Central Standard Time)
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:02:54 EST K5BDZ@aol.com wrote:
> < maybe Someone could tell me which side my power-supply
> should be on.  I have an Omni VI>
>
> Actually the "Rule of Thumb" on choosing which side of the rig to place your
> power supply is this:
>
> Place your hand face down on the top front edge of the rig top face and place
> the power supply on the side of the rig toward which your thumb points.
>
> Does it matter which hand you use to place on the power supply?  YES
>
> It depends on which side of the Rig you want to place your power supply!
>
> Bill K5BDZ
I like Bill's points.....however, I'd like to offer an alternative:

1. Do not buy a Ten tec power supply.
2. Do not buy any manufactured supply.  They're too attractive looking.
3. Find a big ol' transformer that will supply 16v or so at 30+ amps.
4. Use some of the knowledge from that test you took and build a big,
ugly assed power supply with a 40A bridge and about 6 2n3771 pass transistors.
Place it under your desk.  Hook it up to the rig with #8 house wire. Fuse the
PS, PRIOR To the crowbar circuit (see a book, any book)...at about 30A.
Fuse the RIG, if a T/T, at 15A (90w out--it'll hold, trust me--I use one every
day).  Power all your other 13.8V junk off a homebrew (or MFJ) "13.8V power
strip"...
If you use big VHF amps it won't work, but then you're probably a "2M/440 tech"
and
don't read this group anyway.
5. Never buy another supply...buy all the radio junk you want...25 years later
(in my case--I hope to get at least another 30) you won't have to think about
power supplies, at all!!!
6. Use the $175 you saved to buy another radio, cigars, stereo gear, bicycle,
scotch,
hooker, or whatever you need at the moment...
7. If the radio hums, move either it or the supply around under the desk, or
alternatively
just drink the scotch you bought in step #6 until it doesn't bother you anymore.

73, Walt