[TenTec] which side

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] which side
From: n4lq@iglou.com (n4lq@iglou.com)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:37:21 -0500
Ok here's how it's determined. In electronic technology, you use
the "Left hand rule" to determine the north pole of an electromagnet. You
wrap the fingers of your left hand around the coil in the direction of
the current and stick out your thumb. The thumb end of the coil is the
north pole.
For ham rigs, we do just the opposite to determine the side of the rig
most likely to react to a magnetic field. In other words, we use the left
hand rule in reverse.
Note the direction of the current flowing into the Omni VI from the  +12V
lead (RED). Of course, current flows away from the radio so place your
hand (under) the red wire and point your thumb in that general direction.
Your knuckles will then point in the direction of maximum magnetic
suseptability.
Now of course we know this rule only holds true north of the equator.
Below the equator we must reverse all the above.
If this high tec methodology proves excessively complex then one could
always revert to the experimental method whereby one trys the supply on
one side of the Omni and if that doesn't sound right, try it on the
other. But we are way beyond that.

73 Larson E. Rapp