[TenTec] Zero Beat an Omni VI

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Zero Beat an Omni VI
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 14:23:36 -0800
As another poster mentioned, pressing and holding in the CW button will
provide the sidetone to the speaker... just zero-beat the received signal to
it.

Another (more precise) method is to run your favorite HF digital program
(DigiPan, MixW, etc.).  Use the waterfall to zero-beat.  When you press the
CW button, you will see the tone reflected at the sidetone offset, i.e., 700
hz.  Place a marker there, and then you can easily tune to zero beat by
moving the trace from the desired signal to your marker by tuning the radio.

I like having these programs running because it's interesting to watch all
of the CW signals in the passband.  Kind of like a poor man's 2.5 kHz
bandscope (actually, exactly like it).

Re preferred freq for the sidetone, I like using 700 hz.  The ear has an
easier time differentiating tones as you go lower, but too much lower with
the sidetone/offset and you start running into the filter skirts.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net