[TenTec] Johnson PS ??

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Johnson PS ??
From: Gaardens@surferie.net (Rich Gaarden)
Date: Sun Feb 23 15:24:28 2003
Hi Folks,

This is off topic I suppose but the PS will be used on Ten-Tec equipment!

I acquired a very heavy 40# perhaps PS which is not properly regulated (16 V).
I was told it was from a repeater and that it was a Johnson 30 amp continuous.
I thought this would be an easy fix.

There are heavily heatsinked diodes. There is a substantial choke and
appropriate filter caps.  There is a large two section transformer. There is a
small section which vaguely resembles a VR but there are no pass transistors.
Anyone know how this thing might work?  Could it be a saturable reactor?  Any
one know how to regulate the output?

I realize that I'm not giving a lot of information but perhaps enough for
someone to point me towards help.  I have worked on a few supplies but never
one like this!

Thanks,

Rich  KF3DQ