(Fwd) Re: [TenTec] Corsair versus Paragon?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: (Fwd) Re: [TenTec] Corsair versus Paragon?
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com (WA3FIY)
Date: Wed Apr 23 11:34:21 2003
On 22 Apr 2003 at 19:50, Bwana Bob wrote:

> The PLL solder issue was caused by poor workmanship on the PLL boards,
> mostly due to cold solder joints. The symptom is intermittent "PLL out
> of Lock" indications on the display. The fix was to reflow all the
> solder connections on the PLL boards.

I don't know about any of the others but the failures I had
here were clearly not cold solder joints.   I examined the
boards under a microscope and saw fractured solder joints.
Both the PC board and component lead were well wetted with
solder, but the solder had actually fractured like a metal
fatigue failure.   A friend of mine who also has a Paragon and
who had the failure occure twice, decided the same thing and
attributed it to thermal cycling.   So he leaves his Paragon
turned on 24/7 and has no futher failures.   I still cycle mine
on and off and have had no further failures since resoldering
the joints.

Strange thing but easily fixed.

73 de Lee, WA3FIY--
73 de Lee,  WA3FIY