[TenTec] Omni VI+ s-meter light replacement?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI+ s-meter light replacement?
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Tue May 20 04:24:25 2003
I have found that often the bulb has developed some corrosion that causes it
to go out.  At any rate, you can merely remove the top cover (4 screws) and
get to the bulbs.  Find the offending bulb and see if removing and replacing
it helps... if not then take it to the local electronics/automotive store to
get a spare.

I think once my bulbs actually go out I will build replacements using white
LEDs.  I replaced the incandescent bulb in my 9v-powered book light with a
homemade 3-LED bulb (using the base of the burned-out bulb) after being
tired of replacing batteries and bulbs, and the batteries now last forever.
The only drawback is the bulb won't fit in the reflector, so I removed it
and use a piece of aluminum foil that is secured via a garbage can wire
twist (cheap!).  It works great, until my 2 year-old son gets a hold of
it... and then I have to rig up a new 'reflector.'  I'm on a kick now to
replace just about every incandescent bulb I can in my house and my cars
with homemade LED bulbs.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1
Alinco DR-605TQ
Icom T90A

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net