[TenTec] SPAM & VIRUSES

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SPAM & VIRUSES
From: ku4qd@earthlink.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Thu Jun 19 14:02:48 2003
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:35:55 +0000
"LARRY GREENBERG, N5BEA" <larrylg2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  EVERYONE who goes surfs on line WILL sooner or later get a
> worm, virus or some other infection.  That is WILL GET!

NOT SO!  This is only true for those who run Windows, and a significant
percentage of us do not.  My system runs Linux, and it is effectively
virus-proof.  Yes, I know about the handful of Linux trojans and worms
that have existed over the years.  The total number can be counted on
the fingers of one hand and you still have a finger left over.  In each
case they exploited a vulnerability for which a patch had long existed.
So long as a Linux, FreeBSD, or UNIX system is kept up to date all the
surfing in the world will not result in getting a virus.

Hams tend to be on the cutting edge, technically.  Linux has even been
cutting edge in about five years.

73,
Caity
KU4QD