[TenTec] Product Reviews

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Product Reviews
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Fri Jul 4 20:47:43 2003
Pete, I tend to write off the QST review articles. They must follow
different editorial paths than we would like and perhaps expect.

However, the ARRL Labs extended test reports are creditable and
non-political as far as I can see. Different guys, etc. Lots of the
"reviews" are just that - the radio is passed around to a few guys to use in
their home stations for awhile and then their brags and gripes are pooled
and someone draws the short straw and gets to write the review article. It
amounts to walking a very fine line between irritating an advertiser and
informing a member.

Human nature being what it is, no one is likely to spend $3K to $4K for any
radio and then say to the world that "I am a dunce for wasting my good money
on this clunker!" So, it is no wonder that ORION reports on this list are
generally favorable apart from reporting obvious faults and unexpected
behaviors, like SWR readings that are in substantial error and that vary
erratically when in CW mode, etc. The Icom lists are no better in terms of
owner pride and support, although there are seldom any problems worth
reporting. .

Usually, unless backed by extensive testing of which only independent
professional labs, including the ARRL Labs, are capable of doing, anything
said or posted is anecdotal at best and heavily biased at worst.

No one can predict how a radio is going to work on *his* desk in *his*
station until it is installed and operated there. Reports and reviews
notwithstanding . . .

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr@att.net>