[TenTec] Omni V PLL Board rework question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V PLL Board rework question
From: w2fca@capital.net (Frank Ayers)
Date: Sat Aug 9 16:07:43 2003
Hi all
Recently my Omni V has displayed an intermittent problem - while listening
to a signal it will get very "watery" sounding and then go away all
together. I called Tentec and the guy I spoke with seemed to thing it was a
matter of the PLL unlocking (which is what it sounded like to me). He
suggested that if I was willing to try repair myself, I should take out the
PLL board and re-solder all the stuff around the osc can. It seems that
there is compound in there that over time can cause problems from heating
and cooling and that this a somewhat common occurance. Not that all rigs
have it, but of those that do, the connection problem is the usual answer.
My question - has anybody done this and is there anything that I should be
on the lookout for? I would much rather fix this myself that ship it out and
have UPS do the final stress test for me.

Frank
W2FCA