[TenTec] GPS and Ten Tec Rigs

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] GPS and Ten Tec Rigs
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu Aug 14 20:47:23 2003
Someone asked the other day if the Omni VI could
be "sync'd" to GPS using the surplus hp rcvr on the
market.

No it cannot,  nor can the Orion,  unfortunately.

Only the Ten Tec RX-340 rcvr is set up to accept
a 10 MHz external reference.

However,  you can measure how close your internal
master oscillator is to WWV/WWVH at 10 MHz (this
assumes your rig has a 10 MHz XO or TCXO master.

W5YR posted the method on this reflector back on
Wed. June 4th.  Go to the Ten Tec archives at
contesting.com;  select June, and then select
author,  and look about 20% of the way down the
June author list,  George W5YR's very first post
in the list,  title "Some Observations on Orion
Stability/Calibration".  His method of measurement
is clearly presented.  You need to have MixW, or
Digipan application installed and be set up to work
PSK-31 for his method to work.  But it is VERY
accurate -- to 0.1 Hz!!

I have used it to tweak the TCXO oscillator in my Orion
to nearly right on 10 MHz;  of course,  it is sensitive
to the ambient rig temperature,  that is the Orion oscillator
is a bit.  You will find that your MO will drift around a few
Hz of 10 MHz depending upon how long you've had
the Orion turned on,  and what the room temperature is.

Have fun.

73,  Jim  KH7M