[TenTec] Titan III

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Titan III
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:46:10 +0000
The 99 is now about $300 more than the Titan III. Alpha raised the price to $3800 recently.
As for the limitations on Titan III power (tx time/duty cycle...) my guess is the power supply and fan can't quite handle 1.5 kw 100 % d.c. no time limit. TT may have cut back on the cooling since some hams don't want an amp that sounds like a jet engine in the shack. It's an unfortunate limitation hams have to deal with since they have to retune the plate tank circuits to QSY and therefore need the amp at the operating position. Otherwise they could be like broadcasters and stick the amp somewhere remotely and cool the heck out of it. Henry once made an amp that could be remote controlled because the fan made so much noise. You will appreciate quiet amps if you have ever heard some guy who is running an amp with a compressor turned up and is 30 db over 9 when talking and S9 between words transmitting nothing but fan noise. (Of course a dynamic mic with no compression would be nice too.) N.B.: I do not own a Titan III and have never owned any of the Titan models.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ