[TenTec] TenTec SCOUT feedback

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec SCOUT feedback
From: "Dave Roscoe" <w1dwz@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:46:25 -0400
I would appreciate any comments from the knowledgeable and helpful TENTEC gurus
on this site.

I have been having problems with a SCOUT. It is the 3rd one that I have owned,
and the previous rigs did not display this anomaly. When using in the  SSB
mode, the receiver does not totally mute, while transmitting , and you get
significant sidetone audio back through the speaker,  making it difficult and
distracting .  The volume of this audio is independent of the volume control so
you cannot even crank down the Audio Gain when you are transmitting to quiet
it. (Remember the old days with the separate receiver and transmitter  when
doing a changeover ?? !! ) It is presently at the factory, and the Service Dept
tells me it is quite common in the earlier versions, which difficulty was
eliminated with a Surface Mount  Technology  audio board that was used in later
production. (Unavailable now, out of production)
They say they have "quieted it down a lot" but I am anxious to see how much.

Anyone have any comments ?
73 Dave W1DWZ