RE: [TenTec] Opinions on StepIR vertical

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Opinions on StepIR vertical
From: "George Skoubis" <george.skoubis@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:19:50 -0500
I live in Wisconsin and have had my 3 element SteppIR up for a year now.
I haven't noticed any problems with the antenna working differently in
the heat or cold.

I also belong to the SteppIR reflector and one of the guys lives in
Mesa, AZ and I'm pretty sure he has had about as much heat as you'll see
anywhere.

The element spacings that don't model to perfection are offset in MY
opinion by the elements adjusting for whatever frequency you are on.
Model your perfect antenna at 14.025 and then see how great the pattern
and gain are at 14.345.  Now do this on every band 6m to 20...

Now if I would have bought a less expensive antenna I might have sold my
Omni VI and bought an Orion.  It doesn't make sense to have a great rig
without a great antenna so another 6 months or so with the Omni VI won't
be too bad...

 I had a GAP challenger up for the first month after I put my SteppIR on
a 50 foot tower and the only signals I heard better on the vertical were
when I listened off the "back" or side of the beam.  I NEVER found a
signal 6-20 m that was louder on the vertical and many of them were
inaudible on the vertical and I worked them on the beam.

The challenger is now in my garage.  I'm planning on hauling it up to
our lot and camper just to have an antenna up there but I certainly
don't think it will ever be my main antenna again.

73,

George / KF9YR