Re: [TenTec] Re: Opinions on vertical

To: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Opinions on vertical
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:00:07 +0000
Yes, the elevated feedpoint helps compared to a base fed 1/4 w. vertical mounted near the ground. The Gap Titan does well for a multiband vertical, on 15 - 40 especially. People who criticize it usually fail to consider the difficulty of making an antenna that is small and operable on all ham bands 10 to 80 meters. For that kind of multiband performance there are always going to be some compromises. It's a good choice for folks without much space, which is why I bought one. I too have been able to work more dx with it on 40 than I expected. We have low pressure systems move through here 2 or 3 times a year which cause wind gusts of 60+ mph and average wind speeds of 30 - 40 mph over a 24 hour period. It's because of those days that I have mine guyed.

73
Rob
K5UJ

From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu> To: <tentec@contesting.com> CC: <k5uj@hotmail.com> Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Opinions on vertical Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:25:47 -0500

Rob, I agree that I should qualify my statements about radials and the
vertical Dipole to the bands where the Titan is near full size, 20 m and up.
Since I mainly operate 20m, it was a huge improvement over conventional Hy
Gain quarter wave trapped vertical.

For 20m and up, the 40m element of the Titan provides a type of counterpoise
as compared to 20m results with a low G5RV.  IE, my DX is better on the
asymmetric vertical dipole.

40m has been mostly used for stateside contacts; although there have been
some check ins to Pacific DX nets.   That performance definitely depends on
the sun spot cycles, and was done on the rising portion of the last cycle.
I have been entirely happy with 40m use on SSB nets as well.

80m has been used for net check ins, and being a vertical and small (25
feet) for this band, the performance is about what you would expect when you
are cross polarized from the majority on the SSB portion of the band.  I do
get around the state at 50 to 100 watts.  It hears very well on 80m, and is
definitely quieter than shorter quarter wave bottom fed verticals I have
tried.

Stuart
K5KVH

For an all band antenna, The Titan has been an adequate solution.   However,
I do advocate horizontal antennas and a combination of antennas both low and
higher to do both NVIS on low bands and conventional horizontally polarized
operations for any ham.  The main limit here has been time and storms that
keep taking down trees and horizontal antennas hung in them; while the Titan
sways and rides out the blow.

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com