[TenTec] ~ 1/4 wave 160 doublet

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ~ 1/4 wave 160 doublet
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:15:51 +0000
<<There is a "magic" feed line length to make tuning easier, that's when
the length of the feeder and one half the antenna make a multiple of 1/4
wave. >>

I have heard this before several times but never with the length of 1/2 the antenna. What I always heard was to avoid a balanced feed lenth that's an even multiple of 1/4 w. at your lowest operating frequency (band). If I add 1/2 of my antenna I've got a length that's 1/2 wave on 75--ooops. The Matchmaster seems to be happy though but I'd like to know why 1/2 of the antenna is added in.

Jim, if you can, I'd try hanging wire off the ends of your dipole to make it 1/3 wave on 160 (don't know how high up it is). I operate a 1/3 wave on 80 and it works fine. I don't have room for a full sized 1/2 wave on my property. I am going to try to get on 160 by turning the 80 meter antenna into a rectangular loop. Maybe that's an option for you--if you can get a loop that's even just 200' up it can be matched and loaded on 160.

It sounds like you have a pretty good transmatch. Did you build it or buy it? If you bought it, what is it?

73,

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ