Re: [TenTec] ~ 1/4 wave 160 doublet

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ~ 1/4 wave 160 doublet
From: tongaloa <tongaloa@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:17:52 -0400
Jim-

Vertical works well in the middle of the Pacific, provided you're
not way up a valley :-). Soil conductivity in KH6 is generally
WAY higher than mainland which is good (not many radials
needed for a vertical) and bad if you're WAY up a valley.

So...

1) Feed you vertical (feedline) against some ground (water pipes?)
Both wires tied together.
2)If you have a vertical (trapped OK, traps just look like small inductors
to lower frequencies) already, add some loading  to the base (3/8 copper
tube for a nice fat coil will reduce losses) or put your tuner 'near' (30'
is near on 160) the base. The doublet with feed as vertical will be more
efficient (capacitor on top is much less lossy then coil on the bottom)

If you can get a few amps of RF in that doublets feedline (your new short
160m vertical)  you should be able to work almost anywhere. I worked
Africa and UK from T2 on 80 and 160 with only 35W to a vertical..

Heard you guys on 40m in afternoons the past month but no microphone.
Will bring one when I get beck from present stint in Atlanta...

-Bob
ah7i