RE: [TenTec] the latest from AK7O and Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <jfriend31@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] the latest from AK7O and Orion
From: "Ron Martin" <royalct@inr.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:57:01 -0400
If you are not running an NT based windows operating system (NT4, Windows
2000, or Windows XP), you may be getting IRQ (interrupts) problems.  The NT
based systems seem to manage the IRQ situations Better.

Also, your mother board should be not more than few (???..forgot how far
back) years old to prevent the possibility of IRQ problems.  Modern
motherboards manages/shares the limit number of IRQs that are available.
You might review the motherboard manual to ensure that the PCI cards are in
the correct slots to share the interrupts (I believe that the PCI cards have
to be designed to do this).  If you do have an interrupt problem, you may
want to swap cards that use interrupts to see if that helps.

Windows ME is a beast to deal with (unless you reformat the drive and
install it as new.....including the update version (need the original
Windows CD for this)).

You probably have done this already, but make sure that you go windows comm.
port properties and configure it properly, i.e.., set the Baud rate to
57600, 8 data bits, Parity is None, 1 stop bit, and flow control set to
hardware.

In the TenTec's Update program make sure that you select 'Settings/Select'
from the top toolbar and select the comport that connects to the Orion.  I
don't know if this may be a problem, but ME sometimes sets the serial ports
DTR to 'high.'  If this is happening, check Microsoft's Knowledge Base for
correcting this.

BTW, the my Orion is connected to an addin PCI serial port card, and I am
using more serial ports and other hardware ports than I have IRQs
for.....That's what a NT based Windows and modern motherboards allow.  The
16-Bit window systems (Win 95/98/ME) typically have problems with this most
of the time.

Ron ....... NU1U