Re: [TenTec] Reply to N1EU / Barry

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Reply to N1EU / Barry
From: tongaloa <tongaloa@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:36:23 -0500
here run 2.3kc followed by a 2.1kc, both 8 pole and it makes a big difference on crowded band.
for CW, which is 99% of activity, the 2.1 follows a .300 or a .500 and believe it ot not
makes a big difference as well. On Tx, there is option of heavy (adjusts to over 20db) clipping
between the two SSB filters which keeps average power close to peak and while sounding
rather unnatural, is very easy to understand.

it's a tradeoff. sound like a radio announcer and require more space and peak power to get
through or sound mechanical and get through with less power, in less space. For DX pileups,
"5x9, thanks", IMO, the natural sound isn't worth the extra time in the pileup...especially
when SSB is only, by choice, a small percent of operating time here.

That's the Drake TR7. The Argonaut 509 never goes on SSB...

73,
-bob
ah7i

KD7EFQ@aol.com wrote:

Thanks, That was the info I was looking for. I feel the 6+ is engineered more with the CW op in mind than the SSB op, but I'm embarrassed to say that my backup rig, which is a cheap Alinco DX70T with a Clearspeech DSP II speaker actually has slightly better audio fidelity to listento on SSB, until someone moves in 2 or 3 kc's away, and then selectivity/ sensitivity
goes out the window. If I can get a little improvment on the 6+, then it's worth it. 73, Todd.