Re: [TenTec] Inrad 2.8K mod

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad 2.8K mod
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:34:52 -1000
Hi all,

I have an Omni VI, not a plus model. It only has provision for one narrow filter in the 9 MHz IF. Mine happens to have the 500 Hz option filter in that space. The standard 2.4 kHz filter in the 9 MHz IF is ALWAYS in the signal path for both transmit and receive. The narrow option filter is cascaded with the 2.4 kHz filter, when it is selected, for receive, and is NEVER in the transmit signal path. So regardless of the narrow option filter, the 2.4 kHz filter in the 9 MHz IF is what limits transmit bandwidth in SSB. If I were to change this filter for a wider one, my SSB transmit bandwidth would then be greater, and not changeable from any front panel control on the OmniVI. Would this be the same with an Omni + , or are the narrow option filters ever in the transmit signal path?

Thanks, DE N6KB