Re: [TenTec] Orion and MIKEs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and MIKEs
From: N0KHQ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:26:36 EST

If you measure the continuity between pin # 2 (ground) or the mic connector
to the grounding lug on the rear of the radio you will find that there is
approx. 6 ohms of resistance.

I had to use very short leads (10") with banana plugs (to eliminate the loss
through the leads) on my Fluke 77 for measuring the resistance.

If you run a new ground wire (I used insulated stranded 18 Ga.) from mic pin
#2 (ground) to the same board that mic connector goes to and then to the rear
lug on the rig, this will eliminate the 6 ohms in the audio chain. But not in
the IF and RF chain. separate lines will have to be installed to remedy that
issue.

Also, there needs to be a 0.01 cap put across the mic audio hot pin to pin#2
(ground) to help reduce RFI. One Orion owner even put a 0.01 cap from the PTT
pin to ground.

This issue exists in the Jupiter also.

No flames please.......... Just try'in to help.

Get your ohm meter out and test it.

73
John / N0KHQ / St. Louis

Always on 17M
Antennas:
You can build 'em better than you can buy 'em.
Visit www. Hamuniverse.com - then click on Antennas