[TenTec] 7800 purchases (was Orion in contests)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] 7800 purchases (was Orion in contests)
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:11:46 +0000
<<<I was at the Fort Wayne, IN Hamfest last wk end. Talked to Icom, the 7800
will be more like $10,000?

AND the first run is spoken for. Go Figure...

I also doubted there would be very many 7800s sold at that price but--
Quick story to give some insight into this: I was at a vendor last summer and the talk turned to the 7800. Now, this is someone who has been in the business side of ham radio for many years and knows a few things about the market I'd never realize. He asked me to guess how many 7800s Icom would sell to hams:

Me:  World wide?
Vendor:  Yeah.
Me:  (thinking) Umm, oh, at $10K, probably 300.
Vendor:  Ha, try more like three thousand.

He went on to explain that there are a lot of guys with lots of money for this hobby--many more than I would have guessed.

Also, a couple of other points: Firstly, you all don't really think Icom is making the 7800 just for hams do you? I have been told when their last super rig, the one with the CRT (781?) came out, they sold around a thousand to NATO. Those are old rigs now; the 7800 (or it's mil spec cousin) is supposedly being built to be sold to government users as a replacement. This is heresay--I do not have any facts to support this, however it seems in some way plausable since the cost of designing, building and selling a really high end product can't be borne by the ham market alone. Collins owners laugh when people act as if the S Line was built for hams. Secondly, the civilian ham product price will probably drop after a few thousand are sold around the world to goverments.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ