RE: [TenTec] Ten Tec Omni D, Why so quiet ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Ten Tec Omni D, Why so quiet ?
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:17:23 +0100
Richard,

Reverse the order, then I agree.

The preselector really did make a big difference.
Ten-Tec didn't invent it.  All radios used to have them.
Others just quit too soon.

Next, at the risk of being accused of "making this stuff up", I'm
goint to rely on my old gray cells to state something I "think" I
remember.  It is a known fact that the rigs need more sensitivity
on the higher bands and less on the lower bands.  I seem to
remember that Ten-Tec, back in the 80's used to actually build
the rigs to accomadate that, whereas the Japanese vendors seemed
to strive for unity gain (sensitivity), which resulted in their
rigs needing attenuation up front.  The Ten-Tecs didn't need it.

I think the Ten-Tec rigs of the second half of the 70's and first
half of the 80's were some of the greatest rigs ever built.  I
would love to have an old Triton or even my own original Omni
(analog) again.  Those were the good ol' days!

73
Rick