Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Omni D, Why so quiet ?

To: tentec@contesting.com, jfarler@peoplepc.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Omni D, Why so quiet ?
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:47:49 -0500
I hope nobody would defend poor signals today. But I've been around long enough to remember lots of drifty, chirpy, over-modulated signals from non-digital "good old rigs".

Have you ever given out an RST 596C or 599X report? Do you know why the "T" part is there? What "C" or "X" means? :-)

Still, I agree that older, less "hot" rigs (like my TS-520S) were easier on the ears - if there was not much QRM. There is serenity in gentle bandpass filters and deafness.

73 Martin AA6E

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:45:07 -0500
From: John Farler <jfarler@peoplepc.com>

Mike has described what my non-technical mind calls
"digital hamburger," the product of so many modern rigs, as compared to older, cleaner (?) rigs...
Sure tires one out to listen, even though the rigs
are superior in all specs....

K4AVX