Re: [TenTec] tighter filter for Jupiter

To: <jsb@digistar.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] tighter filter for Jupiter
From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:23:05 -0000
The 300 hertz bandwidth is measured between the 6 db down points.  This is
the normal method of measuring filter bandwidth.  It is not unusual to hear
signals down 40 to 60 db from this point.  That is why the filter shape
factor is also an important parameter.  Filter shape factor is defined as
the bandwidth at 60 db down divided by the 6 db down bandwidth.  Really
sharp filters such as the rx340 have shaped factors of 1.2 to 1.  I find the
Jupiter 300 hertz filter has a shape factor of about 4 to 1 meaning that the
60 db down width is 1200 hertz.

I also find that if is ok to add a post AF-filter to sharpen the IF filter
if the post filter is not narrower than the IF filter 6 db down bandwidth .
In other words, the AGC pumping problem that we all hate when using a post
AF filter is not a problem if the IF filter is at least as narrow as the
audio filter at the 6 db points.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC