Re: [TenTec] Omni VI low TX power

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI low TX power
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:04:25 -1000
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have received other suggestions that the problem is voltage drop in the 12 VDC supply to the rig. I sort of doubt that is the problem, because the power drops after having been turned on for several minutes and only operating in receive mode during that time. Also the power is constant during key down. I would expect that if it was voltage drop in the 12 VDC supply due to high resistance in a connector, it would require transmit current levels to make the voltage have an effect on transmit power. I also do not notice any dimming of the meter pilot lamps during key down. Still I believe it is a good idea to get a voltmeter on the load side of that connector and see what happens....Come to think of it, those are #47 bulbs, the voltage to them must be regulated down to around 6.3 V. So even if the Vcc to the finals is dropping to 10 V there could still be a steady regulated 6.3 V on the lamps..... Thanks again for the suggestion. I will let you know what I find.

Ken N6KB

Barbara Maloney wrote:

Ken, Try plugging a voltmeter into the 12v accessory RCA jack on the rear of the Omni. Also fix a place to measure the voltage between the ps and Omni power jack. When you key down the rig, check for voltage drop difference between the two points.