Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI+ audio

To: k8vt@ameritech.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI+ audio
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:28:19 +0000
Hi,

I don't know what the percentage is. Thanks to N1EU for clarification on the Omni VI+ rx bandwidth. I either never knew or had forgotten that, and I assume it applies to the Omni VI option 3 also. Don't know about the VI and VI/1 and 2.

Firstly, my 6 KHz rx bandwidth remark was not intended to imply that transmitting stations are that wide, although some can be. That happens to be my rx bandwidth of preference but I narrow it if there are nearby stations. When the band is quiet I can open it on rx to 12 KHz which, as a side benefit, allows me to keep informed of what's happening in the neighborhood without the benefit of a bandscope. What passband selections there are depends on the rig. So, in a relatively unoccupied area of a band with the preamp off it is a nice listening experience. Not so nice under crowded condx and obviously not workable in a contest or pileup where enhanced audio would be pointless anyway. Those are the situations where the <= 2.7 filters come in. And as you mentioned, if the tx station is running stock audio, the wider bandwidth doesn't do much. Otherwise, I can get lows down to 20 Hz, and the top can go to 3.2+ KHz so you get a nice bass sound on the right speaker and brighter highs instead of being cut out. I had a ham visit me not too long ago and we listened to such a station and his comment was that he felt as if he was listening to a FM broadcast station. It is really amazing to get that quality on a SSB signal without the inefficiency of a carrier and second sideband.

73,

Rob/K5UJ