[TenTec] re happy orion owners

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] re happy orion owners
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:50:41 +0000
I'm sure there are happy Orion owners. I am reasonably sure there are many former owners who have quietly returned their Orions and said nothing publicly, fearing the barrage of oppressive email from Ten Tec fans that would result. Their desire to control public opinion of the Orion is noticeable. Whenever a bad orion review is posted on eham, an alert is often sent to this list and two or three reviews are put up on eham to counter the bad review.

Sure, it's easy to talk about how great a product/service is. Everyone likes praise and everyone likes to give it. But the few who speak up with critical comments/reports and offer balance, and take it on the chin for doing so, offer valuable information also, for those of us with a low tolerance for problems.

"Why is everyone trying to break their Orions?"

This was a question posted to the reflector a few months ago when one Orion owner was repeatedly testing his rig to see when it would crash.

It epitomized a difference among owners I see. Some are apparently easy going and accept problems and don't mind doing a master reset once a week. Or maybe they simply use the rig to do only one thing and for that it works okay. If all you ever do is 40 meter cw at 15 wpm and you have not tried anything else with it I have no doubt that Orion is working fine for you. Others get theirs and immediately test every single feature and function and if it doesn't work as advertised, send it back. I think for $3300, that is a reasonable position.

I have a new TS870S that, on 10 meters, experiences a PLL unlock condition on a few frequencies. Now, I never operate on 10 meters. I could easily never do anything about this problem and be happy for years, but mine is going back to the dealer. The reasons are that: It is supposed to work and I want it to because I paid for that. I may someday decide to operate on 10 meters. I may someday have to sell it and I want to be able to say truthfully that it works perfectly okay.

Based on what I have read, I have no doubt that if I had bought an Orion, I would have sent it back too. For that reason I feel like I have dodged a bullet and am grateful to those who have posted factual reports of problems as I would find such solutions as a weekly master reset and unreliability unacceptable. I think the difference is also in expectations. Some of you consider Orion ownership an adventure, an experiment and an opportunity to break ground in the area of SDRs. Others just want a box that can be depended on to be hooked up, plugged in and operate. Again, as someone with a busy life, who usually isn't in the mood for troubleshooting and surprises when he walks into his shack at the end of a long day, I'd probably not want to be one of the Orion pioneers.

BTW, yes Microsoft's products have problems but I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Microsoft's programs are wonderful and perfect. They are widely used simply because they have managed to dominate the marketplace. OTOH, I know for a fact that at Apple, there have been times when Steve Jobs has looked at a new machine in development and, with the end user in mind, ripped it apart and sent it back to his engineers for an overhaul. If we are going to hold Ten Tec up to a computer software operation for comparison, I would use Apple as the yardstick to measure them by.

Rob/K5UJ

p.s. anyone tired of Orion as a topic better beg ten tec to produce something else. I have a hunch that's the only way the topic is gg to change, hi.