Re: [TenTec] 'Real CW?'

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 'Real CW?'
From: "DaveHeller" <k3tx@fast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:30:56 -0400
I have to agree with both of you. Of course the microphone is (at first)
so much easier to use.  Most everyone can talk. CW can be easy for some
and very rough for others.  Regardless, it's really up to we who enjoy
it to bring the newcomers into the fold.  I can only go by my own
experience.  It took me nearly forever to get good enough to pass 5 wpm.
And I did want to use HF phone so I worked hours on end to get to 13 for
that big G.  Thirteen trips to the FCC office, and finally I walked out
(after failing the 13 receive again!) with a general ticket.  [Really
happened, completely legitimate, and decades before anyone heard of
those phony waivers.  You figure it out.]  I went home, never to even
think of the code again.  I went I could use low-band Phone!   Call
after call on 40 meters without a single
Single contact.  So just to prove I could work G frequencies I tried
CW.  I did make contacts, and a few OT's worked with me and encouraged.
The outstanding one back then was W4OYI, later to be ARRL president.
And just like most others, once the speed got to a comfortable level I
had learned that CW was it.  Not just the challenge of learning the
language, but the overall quality of the CW operators seemed so much
superior overall.
The moral is that without some sort of real incentive few will learn to
use "the ultimate mode".