[TenTec] 'Real CW?'

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 'Real CW?'
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 07:50:17 -0400
I only disagree with Paul/W8KC on this one statement:

"This is also what I claim as what will be the root cause of the ultimate
demise of CW.  It's just too much of a bother to work toward CW proficiency
when the microphone is also plugged into the HF rig."

In my opinion, the root cause of the new folks lack of interest in CW is
mainly us old-timers. We just don't take the time or spend the time to help
the new folks to learn the ropes of operating CW and/or to help them
overcome the fear of using CW. I'm often guilty of that simply because
listening to CW at 10wpm or less, is quite frankly, boring. I neglect to
recall that I was not born being able to send/receive at >30 wpm.

I don't think these discussions/opinions about what is 'real CW' is very
helpful either. In truth, it really should not matter how CW is sent. I
personally, can not send 'decent' CW with a bug/paddle/hand key simply
because of a couple of strokes years ago. (I'm trying to get the bug fist
back, but you would not want to hear it on the air yet!)

I have been using keyboards/computers for sending CW for many years and of
course, the 'real CW' operators are quick to claim I'm cheating. But in fact
they are missing the point that this hobby also should be a fun thing. A
long time ago I got interested in copying high speed CW, to me it is just a
fun part of the hobby. But the 'real CW' operators can't resist the
opportunity to have something negative to say about it. I don't understand
that mentality, but I don't let it bother me.

I learned that lesson a long time ago when I heard what was about the most
awful CW sending I think I had ever heard. I contacted this guy, with the
full intention of trying to give him some pointers about sending good CW. To
my shock, I quickly found out this ham was completely paralyzed and was
sending CW by blowing through a tube. My 'high and mighty old-timer'
attitude went directly into the bucket. It does not matter to me now, how
someone's sent CW sounds, if they ask for help, I will try and help; if they
are doing the best they can under their circumstances, I tell them how
beautiful their CW sounds.

I really dislike the term 'ultra-lite Extra' and no-code ham. If we already
have our ticket, gained by some other means, why do we insist on putting
down the new hams just because 'progress' has been made?

Are us old timers going to go into our grave believing that just because we
earned our Extra ticket by sending/receiving at 20 wpm, that we are better
than a ham getting his ticket without doing that? Old people are supposed to
teach new people. Share your experience/knowledge. Don't degrade a young ham
for not knowing everything we know after many many years in the hobby.

Tommy

W4BQF