Re: [TenTec] Orion II vs Orion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II vs Orion
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 18:24:38 -0800
Duane:

I noticed most of what you did, although I have never played with an
"original" Orion.  I alerted Ten Tec to the sound in the headphones on CW
last week, and they are looking into it.

I also noticed the NR problem, but had nothing to compare it to.  The NR on
my old TS-870 had the same problem, but if it worked well in the O1, it can
probably be restored in a later update on the O2.  I never use NR anyway.

A ferrite loop cured the headphone RF problem, which I only noticed when
running 1.5 kW on 10 meters with the beam pointed right over the shack, just
45 feet from the radiating element.  It might work for 2-meters, but I don't
run 2-meter packet.

Five days running the radio 8-12 hours per day and not a single crash,
jam-up, slow-down or any other 'squirrelly situation!

Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer
Results Radio, LLC