[TenTec] S-meter and RF Gain

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] S-meter and RF Gain
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:35:15 -0500
N1EU:
 >I can't imagine setting RF Gain using an s meter
- I'll always just use my ear.

         I feel the same about zero-beating but
some like a visual indicator.  It doesn't
matter to me much one way or the other but I
don't see the downside to having the option
to set Gain visually as has existed >60 years.
If you like to watch your S-meter jumping with
the noise, you can always increase Gain to the
point that you can see the noise moving it.

         The original point was that Toby's complaint
about change was actually change **back** to the
traditional way S-meters have always worked with
Gain controls.  Based the many "Orion is noisy"
complaints I see from new users, going back to
the more traditional linkage might help them to
set Gain correctly.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV