Re: [TenTec] Speaking of Headphones (Orion)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Speaking of Headphones (Orion)
From: "geraldj" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:14:58 -0600
On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 23:42 -0500, Kc9cdt@aol.com wrote:
> Well, I just checked the specs... It definitely says in the specification
> page
> that the audio output is designed for 16-32 ohm headphones.
>
> I have been using my standard 600 ohm AKG A-240 stereo phones...I guess I'm
> lucky I haven't damaged the HW?

A 600 ohm load on a circuit made for 16 to 32 ohm loads won't damage
anything. Back in the tube days, it might have but not with solid state
output stages. It might lead to greater distortion from having to drive
the output stage harder to get the greater voltage required.

> Guess I better look for something different.
>
> Any suggestions... I want quality phones, light weight, good sound, and
> prefer ones that will... when used for hours will not make my ears get real
> hot!

if you like your phones and they don't need full volume on the audio
gain control, you need do nothing. You could put in an impedance
matching transformer to match 600 to 32 ohms, 20:1 impedance, 4.5:1
turns ratio. 120 volts to 24 volts is close enough. There may be
something much smaller to work also.