Re: [TenTec] Questions about NR i.e. Orion

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Questions about NR i.e. Orion
From: Lin Davis <linbdavis@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:40:33 -0500
Bill, W4ZV

> ***NR will not do anything that adjusting DSP
> BW and Gain controls will not do faster and
> more directly.***

There is an important difference between the NR filter (Adaptive Predictor with
Leaky LMS) and just narrowing the passband with the BW control; the NR will
quickly increase attenuation during the period between CW elements and during
pauses/low level points in speech, which helps readability beyond what the
narrow filter can do. Saying it another way, a narrow band filter doesn't
change
the attenuation in the passband, it is static, whereas the NR dynamically
changes the passband attenuation in direct proportion with the strength of a
coherent signal within the passband. As used here, I mean the passband set by
the DSP BW function. And by coherent, I mean periodic in time. The simplest
example is a sine wave (CW or carrier).

To get the most out of the NR, the RF gain (usually) needs to be reduced until
the noise starts to be attenuated more than the desired signal.

Unfortunately, I believe the whole section on NR in the manual is no longer
applicable and needs to be updated. The NR implementation has changed from Doug
Smith's (WF6DX) original design, on which the write-up was based.

Just my 2 cents,
73,
Lin
WB1AIW