[TenTec] SDR-1000

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] SDR-1000
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:13:31 +0000
Well, I never ever buy a rig when it is just out. So, I waited to see what would happen with the Orion 1. I'd say after reading about the probs. here for the first 6 months I decided to take a pass. I work with computers for a living and did not want to add to my woes at home.

The SDR-1000 was pretty disfunctional when it first came out. Let me take that back, "disfunctional" is too strong a term. Let's say it wasn't ready for prime time. But that was a few years ago. Since then, it has become very very close to plug and play. One big reason for the change is communication and responsiveness and a user community working on it. And I'm hearing more and more of them on the bands all the time. I was in a roundtable last week with 5 guys and 3 or 4 of them had Flexes. Contesters, AMers, audio guys all using that rig. And I've heard it pretty much blows away anything else on the market for the money. I've already decided it's going to be my next rig, if I ever buy another one.

73,

rob / k5uj