Re: [TenTec] On being a contrarian

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] On being a contrarian
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:44:16 -0500 (CDT)
Hey gang?  About the QST Review?

Forget about it.

Yeah, it stings.  But let's face it, we all have our 'druthers, our own biases.
 No one -- no one -- can truly write a 100% fair and complete review, those
little biases sneak in there somewhere or another sooner or later.  It's as
true of news coverage as it is of reviews as it is of anything else.

So the Orion II got hammered with faint praise at best.  So the reviewer
complained firmware about issues that have already been fixed.  So the reviewer
fixated on a "first class" knob.  Big flippin deal.

This review will neither make nor break the company.

All it proves is that THIS particular reviewer didn't care that much for the
radio.  So?  We already know that the RSGB review counter-balances it.  And
there will be others.  Many others.

Anyone who bases their equipment purchase, especially that of a $4K radio, on
ONE review in ONE magazine, even as prestigious a magazine as QST, is making a
potential huge error.  The ONLY way to get a fair feel for a radio for YOUR own
use is to get your hands on one.  Something we (almost) all know.

In short:  Don't sweat the small stuff.  Time to move on.

73, ron w3wn