[TenTec] Orion II and Ameritron QSK-5 and 811H

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II and Ameritron QSK-5 and 811H
From: "Harry G. McGavran Jr. " <w5pny@w5pny.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:47:54 -0700
I have a brand new Orion II I am trying to
hook up for QSK CW using my Ameritron 811H
and Ameritron QSK-5.

On the Ten-Tec web site is the following
description of how to hook up a QSK-5:

Ameritron with the QSK 5:

Refer to Figure 2A in the QSK-5 manual. Key 2 goes to
TX OUT on the Ten-Tec Transceiver. Key 1 and AUX jacks
are connected together with a Y cable and the third
leg of the Y goes to TX EN on the Ten-Tec Transceiver.

>From the Orion manual, to me it seems that for
QSK CW operation on the Orion II,
one does not hook anything up to "AMP KEY" on the Orion,
he only uses "TX EN" and "TX OUT."

So -- I hooked up my QSK-5 and 811H as described in
the above quote with the RELAY connection on the 811H
going to "AMP RELAY" on the QSK-5.

It seems to work QSK, but the first "dit" closes
the 811H relay and it stays closed until either
the "TX EN" cable is unplugged or the QSK-5 is turned off.
There seems not to be a time out on this, the result being
that the 811H amplifier tubes draw their resting current
for long periods between QSOs unless I either unplug "TX EN"
or turn of the QSK-5.  It seems that shouldn't be necessary
to release the 811H relay.

I e-mailed Ten-Tec about this and carried on a dialog with
Paul Clinton who thinks this must be due to a problem with
the QSK-5.  During that dialog, it occurred to me that
I could try connecting the 811H RELAY jack to "AMP KEY"
on the Orion instead of "AMP RELAY" on the QSK-5.  This
seems to solve the problem and the "EXT T/R Delay" setting
seems to release the 811H relay and QSK still works with
the "TX OUT" and "TX EN" going to the QSK-5.

Paul implies this should not be necessary and still thinks
something is wrong with the QSK-5.

I don't see anything in the QSK-5 manual that indicates
the QSK-5 supplies any time-outs on the "AMP RELAY."
So -- it would seem that the Orion must drop a signal
to the QSK-5 on "TX EN" to get the 811H relay to release.  This
seems not to happen and there is only the "EXT T/R Delay"
setting for such things and that only applies to "AMP KEY."

Is there any one else out there using a QSK-5 with an
Ameritron amp and the Orion II and if so -- do you
see this problem?  If so, how did you solve it -- or --
if it works for you, what controls the time-out to put
the Ameritron amp in stand-by when you are using QSK????

        73 --

        Harry, W5PNY

--

Harry G. McGavran, Jr.