Re: [TenTec] Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 16:17:24 -0600
On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 15:23 -0500, Arthur Trampler wrote:
> FYI, VAT countries rebate the VAT on exported goods, allowing them to be
> sold less expensively in the export market.  Sadly the US does no such thing
> for exports.  Ignoring exchange rates, this differential creates what is
> typically a 15% or better advantage for those exporting to the US as opposed
> to those exporting from the US.
>
> Which is one reason I am a supporter of "The Fair Tax" which will address
> this issue!
>
> 73,
> Art

But Art, there is no national sales tax or VAT in the US to be rebated.
All the sales taxes are state and local and usually aren't charge for
interstate or international sales. State and local sales taxes seem to
vary from 5 to 8% around the country, far smaller than the UK's 17.5%
VAT. There isn't anything to rebate in export sales because the VAT
doesn't exist and state taxes aren't charged if the item is shipped. If
you pick up the item you pay the taxes and you can try to ask that state
for a rebate.
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,