Re: [TenTec] Config help. Orion - Writelog - Windows XP

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Config help. Orion - Writelog - Windows XP
From: "Tom Childers, N5GE" <n5ge@n5ge.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:09:38 -0500
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:50:33 -0500, you wrote:

Below:

>I think he was looking for someone who is keying the Orion through the
>serial cable that connects a COM port directly to the rig.  I still don't
>know that this can be done, though
>someone posted that it can.

[N5GE]  That was probably me.

If you download the Programmer's Guide from the Ten-Tec web site you can read
about how it is done, but you will need to know how to program in some language
like C#, C++ or Visual Basic.  I'm pretty sure you could also do in Pascal. In a
nut shell all you have to do (in laymen's language) send an 'alert' code to the
serial port that say's "the next character I send you should be keyed at the
keyer" and then send the character to the serial port and the Orion I or II will
route that character to the keyer, which will key that character via the keyer
to the TX just as if you had sent it from the paddles.

Of course integrating that into your logging program is another thing
altogether.

>I key mine
>through a DigiKeyer off a USB port (virtual COM port) to the rear panel key
>jack (or accessory plug key input - I forget which).  In case it's useful at
>all, here are my WriteLog parms:
>
>Com1  TenTec Orion,  Baud:Auto, Poll: checked,  CommPTT: Yes
>Com2  n/a
>Com3  n/a
>Com4  n/a
>
>CW Keyer Type:  PC Generates
>
>The interface is via MicroHam DigiKeyer via their Eltima virtual ports
>(Com1-3, and 8 are virtual COM ports created by the driver software.)
>
>FWIW.
>
>       73, Duane
>

>Duane Calvin, AC5AA
>Austin, Texas