Re: [TenTec] Config help. Orion - Writelog - Windows XP

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Config help. Orion - Writelog - Windows XP
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 01:10:33 -0400
The Orion Programmer's Reference Guide rev 1.2 p 34 gives the info on
how to send CW from the serial port using the "/" command. Use any
method you like to generate the commands - your favorite programming
language, terminal emulator or whatever.

I have tried it, and it works.  There are problems, because there is an
internal buffer of only so many characters long. (TT does not specify
the length!  Some dozens of characters as I recall.)  That is, you can
send these commands (one CW character per command) as fast as you want
up to the length of that buffer.  They are sent out at the keyer's wpm
rate.  There is no way for your computer to know when the buffer is full
or empty, so it's tricky to send a long CW transmission without gaps or
overruns.  It may be OK for a short ID or contest exchange.

The safe thing to do is to send the commands timed to the keying rate
you hope the Orion is using.  A messy interface IMO.

73 Martin AA6E