Re: [TenTec] PA current control

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PA current control
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:46:56 -0700
Excellent thread highlighting a unique TT feature.

So TT introduced this feature after the Delta/Cosair (and the Argosy)
which seems to put the timeframe in the mid-1980s (perhaps) with the
Paragon 1 being the first? That's a useful feature that not often
mentioned in those rigs.

Is this feature only in the "top of the line" desktops?

Or is it used in the:

Argonaut II/Delta II
Scout 555
Argo Scout 556
Pegasus
Jupiter

If anyone can inspect the schematic for these rigs and say yeah/nay
that might help the "global pool of Ten Tec Knowledge".

TT lineage is at ...

<http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TenTec/2001-01/
msg00777.html>

I also note that the ALC for the Argosy 525D is derived from the
forward power in the SWR detector and the finals assembly the +13v in
line is easy to get too so a similar sort of mod is possible without
hacking the boards (add a sensing resistor in thePA power line and
amplifier to generate generate an ALC signal.

It looks possible in other rigs of the same era (like my 546C Omni D
rev C) which use the same scheme.

Having this thread in mind one can see the "backstory" behind the
comments in about SWR in the manuals of the early 1980s models.

So an Airpax circuit breaker is needed with all of these earlier
models if you don't use the original TT PSU.

--
73 DE N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell