Re: [TenTec] RFI from USB-to-serial adaptor cable

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI from USB-to-serial adaptor cable
From: Paul <designer@quickdata.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 18:58:43 -0800
The question was - Why is serial port used instead of USB? I could be
full of old shoes but I think there are 1.5 reasons.  The half a
reason is when a lot of this rig control software was developed there
was no USB connection. And there was a very clear Serial Port
Standard.  Developers could write to that standard and have the
communication aspect of their software done with.

The 1.0 reason is USB is not a "standard" in that it rquires a Driver
to be written so the software and hardware can communicate over that
USB port. Perhaps better way of saying that is that camera's,
printers, scanners, gps's, etc. all can plug into a USB port. So an
extra piece of software needs to be written to allow the application
to communicate via that USB port. This requires a  bit more
programing in a different realm then just rig control via visual
basic (for example). That is, writing drivers is a whole other skill
set.

But wait, there's more.  You'll note that when Microsoft Sneezes we
all say, "Bless you." which means any change in their OS (have you
heard of Vista) or service packs, could require a change in the
driver - not saying it does, but it could. So now you have a support
issue. How to get your new USB driver out to all your customers. Plus
the joy of dealing with all those lovely, "I just upgraded by system
and now your software doesn't work you greedy bastard...." phone
calls.

So you see, going to USB is a bit more involved than the tried and
true "write it once and be done with it" serial port.

Clearly with the Serial port disappearing from laptops and desktop
machines, there will eventually be USB offerings. Or the Semi=Pros
(and Pros, and hobbyist)  who write the software will decide it is
just not worth it and we will be left with the "commercial" software
provided by the manufacturers.

73,
Paul