Re: [TenTec] 425 titan

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 425 titan
From: "Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales" <sales@tentec.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:56:49 -0500
The intention was to allow legitimate manufacturers of amplifiers to
have 28 MHz enabled "as shipped" rather than modified by an authorized
user (licensed hams) as we've been doing over the past 30 years.

However, the FCC kind of fumbled the ball in the rewrite of the regs.
The way it reads now, am amplifier may not have any amplification
between 26 and 28 MHz to meet type acceptance as shipped.  There is no
possible way your typical amplifier is going to put out full rated
output at 28.005 MHz and no amplification at 27.995 short of having a
microprocessor in there to keep the amp from operating on specific
frequencies.  As our amps are non-microprocessor controlled manual-tuned
tube amps, we've had to keep doing it the "old" way -- disabling the
amplifier for 24-35 MHz use and then requesting proof of licensed
authority (your ham license) to release the modification instructions.

73
Scott Robbins
W4PA