Re: [TenTec] DX radios

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DX radios
From: Kc9cdt@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 22:30:36 EDT
Ron,
You are very correct... In fact there is a lot of things you can do to
optimize even a 45 year old Collins S line when you operate it. Little things
like
knowing where to set the RF gain, and using the notch exactly right to get kind
of a low/hi/cut effect (even though it is really for notching CW signals or
carriers. Also the S3 line has a variable VFO and you can use it like a
passband tuning of sorts.

Of course what you can do on any radio is limited by it's capabilities too.

I am still learning a lot about how to use the OII, but it offers a lot of
options.

If you just want to turn it on, leave everything at default and tune... there
are better options for a lot less $.
Actually in A-B testing with real life DX signals the highly modified
Sherwood Drake R-4C I have can hear just about anything the OII can...of course
it
doesn't have all the buttons, bells, horns, neat display or conveniences.

73,
Lee